Thursday, December 30, 2010

Are you 25? Yes...yes, I am

Due to the holiday schedule (and Patrick's soccer practice schedule), I had to move around the "long run" for the week. I did NOT feel like heading out there this morning. Major storm yesterday, so the trail was full of wet (slick) leaves, debris, and puddles. Tried to keep my balance the whole time, ran slower than normal. However, when I was frustrated at about 5 miles in, I had a very nice conversation at a stop light with this cute young girl. Here's how it went.

CuteGirl: Are you training for the marathon?
Me: Yes
CuteGirl: How far are you running today?
Me: Oh, 12 or 13 miles.
CuteGirl: Wow, I just run high school cross country.
Me: Well, when you're my age, you'll be running marathons.
CuteGirl: How old are you, like 25?

Yes, yes I am 25. No I told her she was sweet and that I was 34. Then we ran our separate ways.

It was only in retelling this story to Patrick later that I realized that in high school, I probably thought 25 was "old"...about as old as 34...oh well! At least she didn't guess I was 40 right?

Anyway, I settled into my run after that ego boost, and right when I was about to fall apart before mile 9, my sweet husband was waiting along the trail just to say hi : ) That gave me what I needed, and I finished out my 13 miles (the schedule only called for 10 miles). Now I get to lay low for a couple of days (yay!), but that 20 miler next weekend is already freaking me out. We're in the homestretch though, so I just need to tough it out!

By the way, I would just like to mention that I love that fact that my 2.5yr old sees me dressed to head out and says "You gonna go run Mama?" I hope the fact that she's already related exercise to us means that I'll have a partner in another 15-20 years or so ; )

1 comment:

  1. That would be an awesome ego boost. Maybe you can see if she wants to come cheer us on at the marathon. She can yell, go 25 year olds! I know you will make it through, especially with your new plan in action. And now think, your reason to make it to the finish line is to continue to be an awesome role model for your kids.

    ReplyDelete