Monday, December 27, 2010

Me, PhD

Well if you're reading this, you already know who I am, duh! But to briefly update on what's going on right now...

Things are busy at work. Post-PhD, I've managed to attain the rank of junior faculty, which is code for "you have the letters, but now do some more work and we'll see if you really cut it". If it were just me, maybe I'd be cutthroat about it. But the bottomline is that I just want to be gainfully employed doing something I enjoy during the day in order to get home to what's really important to me. I've progressed beyond needing to prove anything. I'm a nerd, I have the letters to prove it, now I just want to enjoy what the hard work has gotten me for awhile, is that so wrong?

On the flipside, turns out I had some free time to fill post-dissertation. Now since we moved here several years ago, it seems to be some sort of middle-aged mom rite of passage to run a marathon. I remember spectating at a marathon many years ago for one of Patrick's co-workers. Then, I've played soccer with many many friends that have also run the Houston marathon. It was always one of those things I'd like to "do one day just to say I did".

Now hindsight is always so reasonable isn't it? The idea of training for a marathon with two toddlers after the hell I've put my body through the past 5 years somehow seemed feasible (easy?) to me last spring. I quickly learned that my stubborn nature would be my downfall. I've battled many overuse injuries: runner's knee, pulled calf muscles, foot tendinitis, IT band issues, twisted ankles...and general exhaustion. There have been many times over the past few months that I was convinced I would never get to run this race. In fact, the jury is still out...and will be until I attempt to line up on raceday. I've adjusted my training. I'm actually running more miles than the plan calls for, but I'm running those miles slower in order to preserve my joints. So far these past couple of weeks, this is working much better for me.

I'm in the crunch phase of the training. Last week was huge, but the next 2 weeks are just as important. Then I go into taper mode...all shooting for D-day...the Chevron Houston Marathon on January 30th. My first attempt at 26.2 miles...but hopefully not my last!

Oh and did I mention that Patrick's soccer season kicks off next week...again, what was I thinking trying to juggle all of this???

And did I mention that I hate running in the cold? Good thing I got new cold weather running gear for Christmas ; ) That's going to be the only thing that motivates me out the door tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

  1. I think your new plan is awesome. A few more miles to get your body used to that, but at a slower pace, is just what you need right now.

    ReplyDelete