Saturday, January 1, 2011

Obligatory New Year's Post

I know at the end of a year and the start of a new one that everyone likes to either 1) recap the past year and or 2) forecast the new year. I guess I'll do some hybrid of both. I can't seem to just let all of this rely on one year prior and one year following though. So much history and so much future relies on these two intersecting years...

Anyway, old Mexican wives tales say that what you do on New Year's Day will predict how your year will go. In terms of running, that means great things. I had a very easy recovery run today. Easy in that I had to keep making myself slow down...it was the kind of run where time flew by, the weather was awesome, the pace was simple, and I "felt like a real runner". Plus I even did some yoga after!

In terms of family life, we had a day focused on us. We hung out, played, laughed...with no other priorities other than taking care of ourselves and each other...I truly hope that's the kind of year we have.

Monday starts the hyped up rat race again. I will hit the ground running at work because I have a LOT to do this month. Patrick's soccer season also starts this week, which means I have to step up the supermom effort. In addition, this is the toughest week of my marathon training. We all need a lot of focus to get through this week, but I have faith that we will all surpass our expectations of ourselves and each other.

In other news, I hate fireworks. Yes, they're pretty, but I feel they have no place in the suburbs. We have toddlers trying to sleep. Larkin woke up about 11:15 last night, so she had her first New Year's celebration...LOL! Which she spent making her Daddy play Kinectimals so she could see the tiger : ) Luckily, we were all back asleep before 1am. Kellen on the other hand, slept through like a champ...and then everyone slept until after 7:30am this morning, so that was a nice break for us. French toast cooked by Daddy for breakfast and they were off and running.

As I said, a retrospective of one year just brings in thoughts of years prior. New Year's has been difficult in years past. Six years ago I spent it at my grandfather's funeral...the next 2 years after that I spent it mourning pregnancy losses. Thankfully, the next 2 years after that I spent pregnant...and then watching monitors hoping the kids didn't wake up with the fireworks. So as Patrick and I sat here last night, drinking our New Year's cocktails, playing Kinect pingpong (plus other games...LOL!), and of course, watching the monitors, he kept apologizing that we weren't doing anything more grand...and I kept saying I wouldn't have it any other way....
Because had things continued to go badly 4 years ago...sure, we would have been at some fancy hotel downtown having a great time...but without anyone ever seeing it on my face, I would have killed to be the one in her PJs snuggling with a toddler and watching her other child on the monitor while kissing her husband at midnight...as much as he didn't realize last night...that was my perfect New Year's Eve...the one I always dreamed of and feared would never happen. I wouldn't have changed a thing.
...Hope yours was just as good...and that next year's will be even better.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. :)
    We spent NYE driving around looking at Christmas lights. We were all in our pj's, and then came home and has a toast! It was perfect, if I do say so myself. :)

    ReplyDelete