Monday, September 24, 2012

Mom Survivor: Day 2

Apparently the children smell unrest, so everyone was awake before 6:30am. We managed to talk to Patrick briefly as he made his way back the airport to catch his connecting flight to the south of France. The kids woke up happy, had a great breakfast, and came back upstairs to snuggle.
But I knew we still had to deal with the treacherous issue of venturing out for laundry detergent. Sure, I could have wussed out and called a friend or a sitter...but no...I was going to live dangerously. I weighed the options in front of me. HEB? No! Kellen loves the car carts...and when I say love, I mean I'd have to pry his little hands off the wheel and deal with a very enraged 3 year old. Wal-Mart? No...just because I don't like Wal-Mart. Target? Maybe...but he tries to worm his way out of those dual kid carts everytime...and then brilliance struck. Larkin is a "big girl" now, therefore, she does a good job of walking next to the cart rather than riding in it (due more to her size than her age...she comes up to my armpit...do I look like I fit in that cart?). So, my plan was to grab a regular cart, buckle Kellen in the cart, allow Larkin to walk alongside, dash to the laundry aisle for what we need, check out, and then if all went well, I'd reward us with Starbucks (juice for the kids)! I went prepared, I had an almond milk box and cereal in my purse at the ready for the meltdown battle cry...

...but the cry never came. They got in the car happily, drove to the store happily, shopped happily, waited at Starbucks happily...and went back home happily...huh?

My biggest stress that morning stemmed from me trying to make myself remember to disarm the alarm before going, then manage to get us all out the door on the delay to rearm, then get us all back in the door fast enough for me to get to the keypad to disarm again! This security system is exhausting for the peace of mind it's giving us LOL!

We had a fun day! Did our laundry, played tons, everyone ate well. Kellen throughout the day said the following words: ok, up, cheese (for smiling for a picture again), come on, good job, and also counted to 10...with Larkin and I filling in a number here and there and him instead of repeating the number, went on with the next number (I don't know why, but I think that's huge progress!). The kids also played together...a lot...as in Larkin running after him as a "monster" and Kellen doing the goofy giggle and waiting anxiously for her to scare him again. They shared the Ipad, they shared snacks, they did very well together.

We watched the Texans game together, and of all the weekends, Larkin started asking all kinds of questions...."What's a penalty? What's holding? Why is that man's ear bleeding?"  I did the best I could with simple explanations like "That's cheating. The Broncos aren't being very good sports. That man needs a timeout."

The highlight of our day was talking to Patrick. We did a little Skype and then resorted to Facetime when that stopped working. I am not kidding when I say that the new higher resolution Iphone screen is making FaceTime a more rewarding experience for Kellen. We talked to Mom earlier in the day, and he was all kinds of engaged. With Patrick, he gave him TONS of kisses, and even kept turning away being coy and then would turn back to see if he was still there...it was absolutely priceless.

I was so grateful that Patrick got to see us all happy and goofy...because we weren't putting on a show...we really are doing well. I don't know if that will last all week, but so far so good. No complaints here.

As for me, I seem to have gotten sucked into the first season of Revenge...it's available on Netflix in the instant queue. Holy crap, what a guilty pleasure! I wonder if I could finish the whole first season before the season 2 premiere...LOL! I find it highly entertaining!

I leave you with the end of our day. I tried to take a pic of me and Kellen together and just as I snapped, he turned and decided a kiss was better...not to be outdone, Larkin wanted her own kissy face picture...I guess she's practicing for self Facebook portraits as a teenager ; )
Day 3 will continue tomorrow with my attempt to get us all out of the house successfully...with all of our crap...and without forgetting anything...or anyone...or setting off the alarm...or forgetting to set it at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment