Thursday, April 7, 2011

Weight a Minute...

A little history...
I totally realize that there are people with WAY more serious weight issues than I have ever had. I've been pretty lucky. I was a little chubby as a pre-teen, but luckily (and partly stupidly...why did pickles sound like an acceptable lunch idea?) I slimmed down and spent the majority of my high school and college years as one of the "skinny ones" (although no matter how skinny I get, my butt never totally disappears...LOL!).

But like everyone else, my weight fluctuates...
* I was in pretty good shape prior to trying to have kids, but the fertility drugs (and the consolation wine when things failed) left me with about 5-10 extra pounds depending on the stage we were at.
* I gained 33 pounds with Larkin, and I was very lucky to have it all off by the time I realized I was pregnant with Kellen!
* I gained 35 pounds with Kk, and again, I found myself very lucky to take it all off plus another 5-7lbs! I was close to what I consider my ideal goal weight at that point, so I focused on training and not dieting.

When I started training for the marathon last summer, I was probably in the best shape of my life. I had been skinnier in my life, but never as strong and fit, but I knew I could work harder. So I did work harder and train harder...but that extra work made me hungry...really, really hungry. This led to me GAINING about 5-7 lbs by the time I got done with the marathon...what a dummy!

So at the beginning of this week I find myself RIGHT at my pre-kids weight, which mind you is still a good thing, but sort of my "upper limit" of comfort. Needless to say, I have not actually tried to get rid of these extra pounds yet, but this week I decided it was time. I'm actually shooting for 10 lbs total, and I actually feel like that would do wonders for my knees when I start training again in the summer! I'm still feeling really fit right now, but I'm having to take the running slow since I've gotten rid of my knee braces.

It also helps that Patrick is very serious about getting in shape right now (he's just started P90X), so both of us working out and watching our food choices makes it much easier. Realistically, he and I are both about 3 months away from our goals...it will be exciting to see how it all turns out!

4 comments:

  1. You guys can, and will do it. =)
    I'm finally just a few pounds away from pre-girls, and my waist is *gasp* right where it was before I blew up with twins. Never thought I would get there, but I am. I'm in the best shape Ive ever been in, even better then when I got pregnant...it feels good. =) I wish you the best, and KUP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!! I will need you to keep me on track though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina- I've been wanting to try some of the Jillian DVDs you're always talking about. As a coaches wife (you know how that is!), it would be good to have some hard working at-home options once the seasons start up again next fall.
    Annie- Calorie count!! That's all we need to do...and stop drinking during the week :( Turns out that's all it takes to get the calorie count under control most days LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the reasons I am quitting long distance running is that I always do put on about 5 pounds during training. Maybe you should try a vegan diet ;)

    ReplyDelete