Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Doubt

That little ticker off to the side is really pissing me off right now...

Short story: My knee is hurt, my marathon is screwed.

Long story: The run right after the 22-miler I felt some serious twinges in my knee, but I rested a couple of days and had a good run that Thursday. But the following Monday, I had terrible knee pain at 2.5 miles in and limped through to get to about 6 miles. Since then, I haven't run at all, and there has been no improvement. I went to my orthopedic. He messed with it 20 different ways, took x-rays, and said it's most likely tendinitis. Nothing we can do except physical therapy and maybe an MRI to see if we're missing something. He recommended waiting 3-4 weeks after the marathon and then regrouping.

So yes, he said I could run, but over a week later and no improvement and it's looking bad for me. But I'm stubborn, so I'm still going to line up on Sunday and pray for a miracle. I don't want to look back months from now and just wish I had tried. I may only make it one mile, but I'll feel like I did all I could. He said I can't do anymore damage by trying to run that one last time, and then I promise to do whatever I need to to ditch these knee braces and try to get healthy.

It is unbelievably frustrating to go through all of this, work through all of the problems, feel good about getting through 22 miles, and then bam...you're done. I'd like to think I'll have the determination and strength to do this again, but we all know how life gets in the way. This was my chance, and I just don't want it to slip through my fingers when I'm this close.

So I sit here, I ice, I stretch, I pop Aleve, I slather myself in Biofreeze, and I pray...the latter being the only real chance I have at this point.

But as well all know (and I constantly remind myself) worse things could (and have) happened...so while I'm disappointed, it's only temporary.

17 comments:

  1. Tendinitis blows - no doubt.

    Keep resting until Sunday... Here is a race strategy for you"

    Take lots of advil, carry lots of advil, spray the biofreeze, walk when you have to, jog if you can, cry a little, cry a lot, embrace the pain - it means you are alive, eat bananas at the rest stops, smile as much as you can, thank all the volunteers, wave at all the cameras, when it starts to hurt tell yourself to HTFU repeatedly, high five some kids cheering, slap yourself when you enter that "dark place", be thankful you can physically even toe the start line, think of all the people in the world who cannot, throw your arms in the air when you cross the finish line and go collect that damn finishers medal - you'll have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jeff, advil (or generic) just works great for me AND you can take it more often. The tough part of the marathon is NOT the marathon, it is the training because people ARE NOT suppose to run marathons. Its hard. Enjoy your race as much as you can knowing you did your part, you completed your training. This is your reward. Wish I could be there to cheer you on, but I sense the force is strong in you. You will be ok. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there!! Even if you end up walking and make it - you did it! And remember DFL>DNF>DNS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff hit the nail on the head. Embrace the atmosphere of the marathon and the pain will not matter. You will be moved by those around you and the fans all along the course.

    You will read some of the funniest signs you have ever seen and they will make you laugh and forget any pain you may have.

    At the end of the day when you cross that finish line two things will happen:
    1- You are a marathoner
    2- You have a goal time to beat for the next marathon and there will be a next marathon.

    Good luck to you, but you don't need luck. You are trained and ready to rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hang in there.

    you will love the marathon.

    go.
    take it slow.
    do it.
    you've freaking got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. definitely rest. I pulled my hamstring two weeks before my marathon last fall, on my last 12 mile run. I went to PT six times before the race, and didn't run at all until race day. I was good until about mile 22, when it started to stiffen up, so I stopped to stretch it, walked, then ran. I did that for the last four miles. At that point I just wanted to finish, and not make it worse. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get lots of sleep and keep hydrated! There are times that I've been sick or injured on the day of the event and it actually served as a great way to take my mind off everything. It has a way of simplifying your thoughts so you can focus on small things and we all know a couple small things put together can add up into one big thing (a highly successful race). Good luck! You're do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The exact same thing happened to me weeks before my marathon. I rested for a week, started running again and still felt pain as my miles increased. Still I continued to R.I.C.E. it and did not run again for another week.

    All I can say is...pray and believe in miracles, believe you are healed. What happened during my first marathon? I DID NOT feel any pain AT ALL in any part of my body. I enjoyed the experience immensely.

    Do not lose hope. Think positive. Will be praying for you. Have fun out there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listen to your body! On the same note listen to your heart. You have trained for this, make sure you hold your head up high WHEN (not if) you cross that finish line! Then find the nearest ice bath!
    Good luck and can't wait to read your race report telling us all that you finished and which one you will be doing next! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an awesome surprise, thanks guys (and thanks Irvins!). Amazingly, I read these and my knee felt better...and then I stood up and it hurt again but that's really besides the point ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there... one of my favorite mantras during a race is to give my very best in THAT moment. Some moments that's more than others... but no matter what, you'll be giving it your best... whatever that looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have fun racing, because I know you will do it anyway no matter how you feel. :) Good luck...then take care of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your attitude and race plan are awesome. Show up and do your best. Walk if you have to. No matter whether you walk or run, you can finish 26.2....and sometimes finishing the difficult race against all odds is more satisfying than the race that goes along as you planned it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may totally surprise yourself and find that you feel great on race day - don't lose faith! If things don't go as planned, know that overcoming adversity to finish the race is an even bigger accomplishment! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hang in there. You can control only what you can control at this point. You are injured going into a race... take it for what it's worth and roll with it. If it means it's slower than you had originally planned... so be it. You don't get to do your FIRST marathon again... so enjoy the process!!! Be the cheerleader on the course. Make it your mission to share a positive vibe w/ everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thinking of you today! Sorry you are in a tough spot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeff sent me over, good luck, trust your training, hang in there, sometimes we get "phatom injuries" right before a big race, I hope the pain is gone come tomorrow morning

    ReplyDelete