Monday, September 7, 2015

Why I don't post as much as I should...and why that's about to change

I know that I should post more.
I compose at least a post a day in my head...but life gets in the way.
I said something recently on Facebook, and I was struck by a few friends' appreciation of my honesty. It's something I do well, and I'm basically honest to a fault. For moms like me, for families like ours, for kids like Kellen, I need to do a better job of transparency. 
So here it is...my promise to post at least once a week.
Why is this important?
Some of our voices are getting crowded out. I used to closely follow another autism mom blogger who had various adventures somewhat similar to our own, but then our paths diverged. She began to focus far more on what adults with autism needed rather than what mom/child pairs (like us) needed. By all means, her points and priorities are valid and needed...but it's not what WE need. When that mom is so focused on (and let's be honest "parading") asking her autistic daughters permission to post pictures/stories online, well, let's just say that their autism is NOT our autism...at least not right now. While I absolutely respect her/their approach, we are in an entirely different game. Do NOT attempt to speak for us, and we will happily show you the same courtesy.
Anyway, the point is...I had one, you see... Get ready. A whole lotta truth is headed your way. 
I'm strong enough to write it. Are you strong enough to read it? And are you brave enough to stand up for what we believe in?

3 comments:

  1. Dude. Blogs are out. You need a moon madness twitter, or vine, or snap chat something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't work with the limited character count!!

      Delete