So most of you will remember the disaster that was our last round of antibiotics, and if not, then you can relive the almond-milk bath here.
So KK got sick again last week...I knew it was most likely another ear infection. I dreaded having to take him to the dr. because I knew this would mean more antibiotics. I'm not quite to the point of "letting nature take it's course" or trying homeopathic remedies for a bacterial infection, but I have to admit it crossed my mind. We went in to see our pediatrician, and I filled her in on the demonic qualities of Augmentin in autistic children. Of course, this was news to her, so she suggested Omnicef for this round. During the last demonic possession, my autism advisors had suggested amoxicillin or Omnicef, so I was ok with this strategy...mostly.
So I held my breath...he started them on Friday, Dec 9th. When I came to work on Monday everyone asked how the timeline compared to the last go round...turns out that Monday would have been almond-milk hair conditioner day. But as I sit here completing day 8 of Omnicef, the demon never appeared...neither did the terrible diarrhea...the general misery...for either him or me.
Now I definitely notice some side-effects, specifically hyperactivity! He's not mad, he's not sad, he's just BUSY. And to notice a difference in his activity takes a pretty dramatic shift because if you know KK, well "busy" is his middle name! Teachers noticed it as well, particularly his lost need for a nap. We had one night where he didn't fall asleep until after 10:30pm...I refused to go to bed until he was out, so it's been a long week.
But he's happy and attentive and not sick, so score one for Omnicef!
I know I've been promising a post on what we're doing, how we're doing it, and what we're going to do in the future. One of my plans has fallen through for the short-term, so I'm in a regrouping mode...as I do that, maybe I can lay out our strategy more effectively.
For now, we manage each day the best we can. I take comfort in his arm wrapped tightly around my neck, in his need to take me everywhere with him, in my being his security blanket, in Larkin's attempts at teaching and prompting him, and in my husband's attempts to prove how much more he's capable of.
We will get there. I am still learning. I am still digesting. I am still opening my mind.
I feel the need to try harder, to move faster, but each of us can only take so much...so we regroup and gather strength for the battle ahead.
We will get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment