Thursday, November 3, 2011

October Training in Review

I'm firmly in the middle of my marathon training schedule, and I thought it was worth it to not only review my training for the month of October but to also compare it to my training last year. We scientists really like our data...and let's just say that the numbers probably go a long way in explaining how I ended up with a painful two knee brace 5 hr plus marathon day last year...

For history's sake, last year I trained with a group using the USAFit plan...which to the "real marathoners" looked like really low mileage. Considering I had no freaking clue last year, I just followed the herd and basically ran too fast and overall too little to consider it anywhere near a respectable training cycle. Oh well, live and learn. I was determined NOT to let this happen to me again this year, so I'm following a sort-of hybrid Higdon plan (combining Novice 1 and 2). Higdon plans seem to be well revered, and I've had several friends feel more than prepared following them. Last year...I NEVER felt prepared for any distance beyond 10 miles.

So without further delay...the numbers:
October 2010
Longest Weekend Run: 13.1 miles
Longest Midweek Run: 4 miles
Highest Weekly Total: 19 miles
Total Runs: 13
Missed Runs: 4 (wow....I only ran 3x a week?)
Total Miles: 73

And then this year...
October 2011
Longest Weekend Run: 13.1 miles
Longest Midweek Run: 6 miles
Highest Weekly Total: 24 miles
Total Runs: 17
Missed Runs: 1 (took an extra rest day after my half marathon)
Total Miles: 96

What's even more important to me is that all of my October 2010 miles were run with 2 knee braces and had me at the ortho's office with foot pain that we thought was a stress fracture but ended up being tendinitis. So far this year, I'm still brace free! I'm not saying I won't need them, the miles are about to get longer, but I will say that I'm holding up a little better this year!

We'll see how November goes with more miles, a work conference, and the holidays, but I will tell you that my November 2010 total was...wait for it...68 miles. I sure hope I can do better than that this year!
72 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment