Friday, May 13, 2011

Larkin's First Race Report

So when I realized that I was ready to start running again, I tried to find a 5K. When I looked into the Sprint for Life 5K, I was immediately intrigued by their Tot Trot for kids 3 years and younger. It was Mother's Day weekend, Larkin is always fascinated when I run, and I thought it would be worth trying to run our first race together. My fear was that she was going to be completely annoyed and uninterested...but the outcome was the exact opposite!

She was talking about it for weeks before the race. I managed to find her a super cute (but athletic!) running outfit...and just maybe I managed to match it to one of my outfits ; ) I also made a huge frilly bow. We Luna girls may run, but we run with style!

The night before the race I told Larkin to remind her Daddy about her race number in the morning. Apparently, she woke up talking about her race number (and her racing shirt...and her racing shorts)...so she was ready to pin it on as soon as she got there.

We managed to get some cute mother daughter pics as well. It might be early and I have no make-up on, but what an awesome way to kick-off Mother's Day weekend.


Once we were over by the start line, Larkin was really ready to get going...but we still had like 20 minutes to wait. So we talked serious race strategy.

We don't look alike at all you know...

Once we lined up, she was all business.

Now let me say that we know very well that Larkin is "all girl". I fully expected her to run like Phoebe on Friends and inevitably to fall at least once...but it didn't happen.

That little chicken took off with better form that I run with and she was FAST!

She totally would have won the race...except Nina forgot to double knot her laces!!

She did get a little tired on the way back (so did I...no way that was just 150 feet!), but she toughed it out and never walked.

If you look closely, you can see Nina snapping a picture with her phone on the left : )

Everywhere we went that morning we heard lots of "Awwwww", "How cute", and "Look at them"...it was one of those events that you know you'll never forget. Here was my mini-me. She was so excited to run...to run like Mama...to run with Mama. Everyone was watching this cute mother-daughter pair in matching outfits, and I couldn't have been more proud. Thoughts of sad Mother's Days past danced on the edge of my mind, and it all felt like a dream. Kellen was even extremely well-behaved and let us have our mother-daughter time. I was so grateful for that entire morning, and I knew it would be a mother's day I would never forget.

To celebrate, everyone got a popsicle...and then we took an impromptu trip to the zoo.

Best Mother's Day Ever...

Only problem is that Larkin can't stop talking about her race...I can't put on my running shoes without her asking to go with me! We're already looking for her next race : )

1 comment: