Monday, January 30, 2017

Meet Us Where We Are

One of the (fairly helpful) pieces of advice autism parents receive is to “meet your child where they are”, meaning don’t put demands on them that are beyond their current skill set, dig in and see where their level of understanding, interest, and tolerance really lies. That being said, some of our children are in fact highly manipulative (Kellen…), and as soon as they realize there’s an option for an “easy button”, then you’ve lost all hope of getting them outside of their comfort zone and moving towards new progress. In essence, kids like Kellen can sniff out the push overs a mile away.

But for now, I’m going to ask you to “meet us where we are”. I’ve not kept up with this blog as I’d hoped. Life continues to get in the way…and will forever, let’s be honest. But with the current turmoil of the world, this becomes a natural and therapeutic outlet for me, so here I am. I’d like to give you a snapshot of where we are for now, and then I can back up to the 5,000 things I’d like to say, to share, to ask, to warn you about…

So here are a couple of “mini-posts” if you will so that you can meet us in our current state. And be forewarned…brutal truths will be shared from now on in this blog (and I guess they always have honestly).

Holes in our Hearts
I don’t think I’ve fully divulged how bad things had/have gotten around here in terms of Kellen’s self-injury and aggression. The difficult part is that it was a lot worse ~18 months ago… and then I say that and wonder “Was it? Or has the needle just moved so that this level of disaster just doesn’t seem as bad after this long?” There is essentially a hole (or at best a very large dent) in every single wall of our house that has been put there by Kellen’s head. We’d have more holes in the house, but you can’t put a hole through the ceramic tile or laminate flooring. Kellen has basically had a perpetual bruise on his forehead for a couple of years now. And every time it gets better and we think we might be over the worst of it, reality comes to slap us in the face…or headbutt us actually. I’ve gotten better at dodging, so I think I have less bruises now. But when we have him mostly contained, he lashes out and pinches…those leave the worst bruises. At any given time, should I randomly show up in a hospital unconscious, they would most likely assume I was a battered wife. Again, brutal truth. On our to do list, we’re planning to talk with a group that is willing to provide training in safe restraint. Gone are the days when I could just pick up his flailing body and move him to a safe place to rage. He’s up to my chin now…I’m strong…but he’s getting stronger every day. And while I’ll talk about this more later, I want you to understand that he doesn’t want to hurt us. These aren’t calculated aggressions. These are moments when he completely loses himself, and there have been many times when I have felt completely lost in that moment and started sobbing uncontrollably…and it would bring him back. He’d see me crying and emerge out of the fog, clinging to me, us clinging to each other, for dear life. He doesn’t want to do these things…so we continue to fight and look for answers. More on this another time.

Toasts to the Unexpected
Because Kellen remains what we’d term “limited verbal”, it is always difficult to determine exactly what he understands and what he’s continuing to absorb from his daily life. He can seem completely aloof and unengaged one minute, and then absolutely shock you the next. Our latest example had us laughing and me teary-eyed (shocker). Kellen loves movies. Since we took away the computer over Thanksgiving (again, that needs its own post!), he can choose movies to watch in the evenings and on weekends. One of his more recent selections is “Mr. Peabody and Sherman”. This was not one of the more popular kids’ movies, but if you ever watch it, there’s a particular scene in the movie (which is actually repeated a couple of times due to time travel…LOL) where Mr. Peabody is making drinks for another set of parents, and once the drinks are ready, they toast, “To the kids!”. This is not something I had necessarily committed to memory, but I’d heard it enough in the background of my life. So Saturday evening, after a particularly rough day considering that Patrick had been up with Kellen from 2am-5am (he was wide awake for no discernible reason, so Patrick took one for the team) and I had been tearing through some early spring cleaning, Patrick and I went to sit outside in the backyard while Kellen played. I’d poured a glass of wine and was sitting in my patio chair, and Patrick had just gotten a beer. All of a sudden, Kellen comes over and seems really interested in my wine glass (he likes to smell it sometimes, so this wasn’t that odd), but then he goes to take a closer look at Patrick’s beer. He then proceeds to drag Patrick over to me, and we have no idea what he is doing. He takes each of our hands (with our drinks in them) and begins to move them toward each other. I start to realize that maybe he wants us to “clink” glasses, so we do, and then he says (to my utter shock), “To the kids”. You should know that anything Kellen says or sings is garbled and a rough approximation of the actual words. We’ve taken months to figure out what he is saying sometimes…but this one I got right away! He was so happy when I did, too. He made us do it a couple more times later that evening, and I have a feeling that toast will stand with us for a very long time. It was so surprising and so wonderful, and it was one of those moments that just serves to remind us how much we DON’T know about what he understands and absorbs.

Driving on a Road to Nowhere
So after some earlier escapes, we’ve secured our house fairly well against Kellen getting out. So one day, Larkin and I lost Kellen for about a minute. We couldn’t find him anywhere, both the front door and back door were locked, so I went into the garage and found him sitting in the driver seat of my car pretending to drive (he was making car noises and everything). While this has proven to be less than ideal (my car is in a general state of disarray most mornings with random lights on, high beams on, windshield wipers on, mirrors askew), you really can’t argue that this is an age appropriate obsession. The other day it was in the driveway, so he decided to get in again. It was chilly, so I got in the passenger seat. He then proceeded to get me to buckle myself in (at least this is drilled into him because he buckles himself in every time he plays in there!), and then he went back to driving. I managed to get him to take a picture, too. I have no idea where he is going. And when I put on my doomsday hat, I have no idea if he’ll ever have a license or be able to drive a car… I don’t have a map. I don’t know what road lies ahead. But as Doc Brown would say “Where we’re going, we don’t need roads”. Good thing because we’re off the map in all of the worst and all of the best ways.
** His "cheese" face. **


So this where we are. It’ll change by tomorrow. And it won’t. This is life with autism. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember the bruises of another autism mom. I have to admit I was startled when I saw a huge purple bruise and she told me her son pinched her, a common occurence. I know we all have our own stuff to deal with but cant imagine those tough times. I know all you can do is one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Stay strong - remember to breathe -drink wine. To the kids!

    ReplyDelete