I’ve delayed writing this post for a while. I’ve written it in
my head 20 times, and I’ve certainly told the story, but for whatever reason,
I’ve hesitated actually starting to type.
Autism forces you to face fears that you never imagined.
Sometimes it’s fears that every parent has, but they’re just heightened in the
world of autism. Sometimes it’s a fear that no parent should ever have…but we
do. So this is the story of two common fears in autism…one absolutely terrifying,
the other unbelievably heartbreaking. And it happened within a timespan of less
than 24 hours.
It was a Sunday. I had gone for a run. Apparently, Kellen
had gotten really upset when he realized I was gone. Patrick said he never
really calmed down and constantly looked for me. When I got back, he seemed
relieved, but I could see that he had been very bothered by my absence. Patrick
went to get us lunch, Larkin was laying on the couch playing on her tablet,
Kellen was sitting at the kitchen table with his iPad. I snuck upstairs to
change shirts.
What I didn’t realize is that my invisible wall of security
had several cracks in it. Larkin had headphones in, and I didn’t see it.
Patrick had turned off the beeping that usually happens when doors open, so
that he wouldn’t make so much noise letting the dog out. Patrick hadn’t locked
the front door when he left.
I changed my shirt, I remember hearing the theme song from
Ben 10 floating up the stairs as I did. Then I decided to fix my ponytail since
I was a sweaty mess. A few more seconds. Took off my running shoes. A few more
seconds. And as I came around the corner to head to the top of the stairs, I
was struck by the silence. I called down as I walked a little faster “Kellen?”
No answer, no noise. “Larkin, where’s Kellen?” No answer…now I see the
headphones in her ears. I look at the kitchen table, there’s the iPad, but
Kellen’s not there. I scan the living room and immediately turn to my right and
see the front door. Open just a crack, maybe 3 inches.
That’s the moment my heart stopped. That’s the moment
nightmares are made of. That is every autism parent’s worst fear. That image
and moment will never be erased from my mind. I sprinted down the hall,
screaming his name, threw open the door and ran out of the entryway.
And there he was. He looked to have been most of the way
down the driveway, no shoes, nothing in his hands. When he heard my voice, he
turned immediately and ran (sprinted) directly towards me. I never stopped
running, so we collided at the top of the driveway as I bent down and he ran
straight into my arms. Our faces were mirror-images. There was no relief, both
of us had looks of sheer terror. Both of us seemed to be saying “Oh my God,
that was almost it, I almost lost you, we almost lost each other, Oh my God,
are we okay?”
I don’t know that we’ve ever hugged tighter. I don’t know
that he’s ever been so still and so quiet in his entire life. We must have
stayed there hugging for 2 minutes or so. Not moving. Just trying to breathe
again. I remember feeling and hearing our hearts beating…they felt like they
were trying to outrun each other. Yet we were still as statues.
I picked him up, never breaking our embrace. I walked inside
slowly, he never took his head from my shoulder, his arms from around my neck,
we walked over to the front window, and I sat down on the carpet. Him in my
lap, our arms still around each other. I couldn’t move. Apparently neither
could he. One minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes later, I honestly couldn’t tell
you, Patrick pulled into the driveway. When he walked in the door, he knew
something had happened. Kellen saw him and for the first time we stood up, and
Kellen walked off. I went into the kitchen, and as I tried to get the words out
of my mouth to tell Patrick what had happened, the tears came. I couldn’t
control them, I was shaking, and I couldn’t calm down. Then I feel a little
hand at my side, I look down to see Kellen. He’s looking straight into my eyes,
and I see his lip start to quiver, his eyes water, and I see him start to cry.
Kids like Kellen “aren’t supposed to do that”. They’re not
supposed to show empathy, they’re not supposed to share emotions. But Kellen
fills every day with things he’s “not supposed to be able to do”.
He cried because he saw me upset, he cried because he felt
my fear, he cried because he shared my fear, he cried but he completely and
fully understood the bullet that we just dodged.
I don’t think we left each other’s side the rest of the day,
as if there was an invisible tether between us. You could feel the still overly
emotional states we were both in. We had survived…this was the fear that I
mentioned above as absolutely terrifying.
Now we get to heartbreaking, but you see, it’s heartbreaking
that the fear exists for parents like us. But for us, this next tiny piece of
our story is not about heartbreak, it’s about wonder, it’s about success, it’s
about love.
The next morning, it’s as if we had an emotional hangover. I
went to drop him off at school, and as I stood there talking to his teacher, he
began to get sad. I could see him struggling not to cry, and as I looked down,
he looked straight into my eyes and said, as the tears started to come, “I Love
You.” I put my hands on both sides of his face, bent down, and said “I Love You
Too Buddy”. And then I started crying, so we knew we had to get him inside
before this unraveled. I cried through most of my drive to work, and his
teacher said that they all cried after I drove away.
You see many parents of autism, especially those with
initially non-verbal children, fear that they will never hear their child utter
the words “I love you.” I certainly feared it. And while we had heard it many
times in response to us telling him we loved him, he had never said it
spontaneously, completely on his own. But there we were, having had a shared
experience the day before that was still weighing on both of us, and he chose
to tell me that he loved me. No prompting, no routine, no cue that we missed.
He loved me, so he told me. While the 5 seconds (that felt like 5 lifetimes) he
was gone made my heart heavy and weary, the 5 seconds of love between us
restored my faith in all.
Yet, the fears remain. So we fight back. The beeps are back
on. And we’ve changed the front lock, so now we have the ability to lock
ourselves inside with a key rather than a turn lock. Whenever possible, I leave
nothing to chance. And I will take nothing for granted.
I landed on your page randomly form the Autism Blogs Directory and was stuck by our VERY similar bios (Ph.D. SOCIAL scientist seems the only difference - but I teach Bioethics, Ethics, Philosophy and Comparative Religion...). Then I dove into your post and was just so moved, most especially perhaps by your daring to try to nurture the full potential in ALL the members of your household (by going on a run, you; by not accepting judgments/limits, Kellen, etc) while trying to create an environment in which growth happens safely. I was reminded of moments of similar danger/fear/tears in our family -- and of moments of such deep love and communion. I also think your idea of an "emotional hangover" really resonates, perhaps particularly with we spectrum-y folks. I'll be back!
ReplyDeleteLove,
from!
ReplyDelete