Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My European Tour, Part III: Brussels!

While the beginning of this story is fairly dramatic (I know, you're shocked right?), this is by far, my favorite, favorite, favorite reason for having gone to Europe! I had been dreading (and constantly thinking of ways to get out of) this trip until a few months ago, one of my closest (which is funny because she's my farthest friend distancewise!) friends Jenn said they might be moving to Brussels. I admit, I encouraged her. I knew she could totally handle it, the kids would thrive, and they would all be better for the experience...I like to live vicariously through other people ; ) So, when her move was a done deal, it was my turn to commit to my trip and book a train trip to Brussels!

It seemed relatively simple. I just had to get to the north train station in Paris, take the "fast train" to Brussels, and then take one local train to their "suburb" Hoeilaart (or something like that...believe me it doesn't sound anything like it's spelled!). I studied the metro in Paris, figured out what I was doing, and was SO PROUD to have found Gare du Nord (the north train station) with zero problems!
When you get in the train station, you learn that there's big board that's constantly updating that will tell you which platform to go to about 15 minutes before your train departs. I really felt like I was going to Hogwart's at this point. I was so excited that I even took a picture of the fast train : )
Turns out that wasn't my train...I kept hearing announcements about my train number, but none were in English...then I saw the word "Retarde" pop up next to my train number....WTF! I have the only train that is freaking late. I start to panic. My train finally gets there, I board no problem, but I quickly realize I'm going to miss my connection train in Brussels. Then they tell us the wifi is out on the train...crap!
Before I get to drama, let me say that the fast train is super cool, but I did feel like we were going to crash at any moment...the turns are serious LOL! The best part is that it made me feel like I was on Alias...gosh I miss that show!
We get to Brussels, and I try to figure out where the eff I am...and quickly realize I have no idea and none of the signs are in English. I wait in line for the one information desk girl and of course learn that I've missed my train. I try to call Jenn...and realize now that I don't have her new number. I also come to the conclusion that I'm not sure these information people are telling me to get on the right train because the platform they pointed me to says nothing about Hoeilaart. Not to mention I'm stuck there for an hour...cue complete emotional meltdown while on the phone to Patrick.
Short version "I hate Europe" "Why can't everyone just speak English?" "I want to go home."
I'm surprised I didn't start chanting USA in the middle of the train station.
Patrick was cool as could be...everything is fine, I'm sure Jenn will call you when she sees you're not there, don't worry...blah, blah, blah. Apparently he was not as calm as he pretended to be!
Luckily, my "little bit of Kellen" made me count all of the stop names that were before Hoeilaart, so not only did I know the entire sequence, I also knew that we were theoretically the 9th stop. When I got on the train, I learned they do NOT call out the stops, so panic again! But a very nice older man said he was going to a stop past there and would gladly tell me when to get off. Turns out it was the 9th stop, so I would have theoretically been ok, but he did a lot to calm my nerves (plus obviously he spoke English).
This led to me being a little more calm when I finally talked to Jenn (who at that point was trying to sound calming but only made me realize how freaked out they all were when I heard how hard she was trying "I WILL BE THERE TO GET YOU, DON'T WORRY!". Thankfully Adam (her husband) called next, and well he's always calm, so that helped me not to freak out.
When I finally got there, I exited the train at basically a pile of dirt that served as a train station, panicked momentarily, and then once the train passed, I saw the head of bleached blonde that I love so dearly! I exited the ghetto train stop and got into Jenn's very nice rental car which held a glass of wine in the cupholder....few people know me as well as she does!
I made it to their house, and while reintroducing myself to the two children I have bathed, read stories to, and comforted after a fall more times than I can count, Adam proceeded to take my glass, refill it, and put it back in my hand without me even realizing. LOL!
We had such a great night catching up, playing with the kids, awesome food, champagne, wine. Jenn even made me try caviar for the first time...um, not a fan. But it was the best because I got to try it with the kids. Again, I saw Gwen when she was born in the hospital, and not only did I see Cole when he was born, we even stayed the night with Gwen when they had to go to the hospital to have Cole. These kids were my kids before I even knew I wanted kids...and they were my surrogate kids when we were trying oh so hard to have them....they really kept me going during such a difficult time.
So it was awesome to see their little personalities...not much had changed LOL! Larkin is just like Gwen was at 4, so it was fun to see what I'm in for. Cole needs his own TV show he's so hilarious.
Anyway, we forced ourselves to go to bed, and I was so excited to get Gwen's room...I'm pretty sure you could fit 2 of my Paris hotel rooms in her room. Had a terrific night's sleep, and got up and got ready eagerly as I could hear the kids rumbling around.
After a yummy breakfast (I had better croissants in Belgium than France! and my coffee came with Bailey's in it), Jenn and I headed out into Brussels. Allow me to take an aside for a moment...Jenn is a terrible driver. I am not really prone to motion sickness, but get in the car with her for too long, and anyone would be. We'd literally hold on when we got in the car with her, and I don't think Patrick ever succeeded in being a passenger in her car. Knowing this, the idea of having her drive me around in a foreign country was a bit scary...and I was right to be scared LOL! We survived though, and made it to my new favorite grocery store in the world...Rob!
Rob is awesome because they have supercool stuff, and their upstairs has grass carpet with cow covered chairs...yep. But what was more awesome was the hot chocolate you made by swirling a block of chocolate into hot milk.
Then we made our way into central Brussels, into what I think was called the Grand Palace? I don't know, but it was freaking beautiful. It was SO charming, and I loved it so much more than Paris.
That might have something to do with the fact that every other store front was a chocolate shop that looked like this...
We did A LOT of shopping...which really, that's what Jenn and I are good at...shopping for random crap...but there's not a Target in downtown Brussels so it was toy stores and candy shops ; )
Then we decided we were hungry, and when I say hungry, I mean thirsty. We stopped at an awesome place, sat upstairs, and I had the best Croque Hawaiian, which was like a grilled cheese with ham and pineapple on the best bread ever. I also learned that in Belgium, they only give you your beer in a glass made for that beer. Something about this made me super happy! Affligem Brune was pretty badass.
We did more shopping which included Jenn trying to cross a street while traffic was coming, screaming, and then running back out of the street...none of this shocked me as I'm pretty sure we did this in Texas regularly. Then I decided I had to pee, which translated into us being "thirsty" again...I will never get used to paying for a freaking toilet! But the wine was good ; )
Then it started raining, which didn't phase us one bit, but made us put our hoods on. We of course could not pass us taking a picture of this restaurant for Patrick.
The whole trip through downtown, we're trying to make our way to seeing the "peeing kid". I confess, I expected a large statue of a child peeing in the middle of the fountain...I was a little underimpressed by 1) how small it was and 2) that it was covered up in St. Patrick's Day clothes...but by this point I was having my first Belgian waffle and didn't care.
And then...it happened. The one thing I was lacking on my trip...I saw a real live ROBO (again, see  Eurotrip for the reference!)!!! My European experience was now complete! This would have been awesome, except when I sent this picture to Patrick, he realized that I had on my arm a set of beer glasses which were obviously for him so he wrote back "Don't break my glasses on the plane!" and totally ruined the surprise LOL!

We finally made our way home where the kids were eagerly waiting for their new playmate. I then made the cardinal sin of wearing socks on stairs and went flying around the corner of this... to which Gwen remarked "Wow, you were going really fast" and "You went really far" and I remarked "Owww" and "I'm ok"...and then Jenn handed me a Limoncello with champagne and all was ok...

And then we had these for dessert and everything was really okay....along with this bread that had apples and infused liquor and oh my God, Jenn, send me a loaf of that bread in the mail!!!
We stayed up and talked and drank and then in true Jenn form, she fell asleep mid-conversation. I went up to bed, talked to Patrick for a bit (this time difference was still so weird for us), and had a terrific night's sleep. Woke up early the next  morning to spend more time with the kids. While we were hanging around that morning, I also got to experience the best of Belgian satellite TV...which at that point in time was Nigerian Idol...LOL!
Now, this pond behind us was absolutely gorgeous, except that it's home to some very horny frogs. I witnessed frogs copulating and huge disgusting masses of frog eggs. As a scientist, it was super interesting...as a mother, I would totally have freaked trying to explain that to kids..LOL! The frog plague may be coming to Brussels, I mean Hoeilaart, I mean Jenn's house!
I hated leaving...absolutely hated it. Jenn and Adam had made me feel so at home in this ridiculously foreign place. The kids were amazing, made me so proud that I was there when they were babies, and helped quell that ache in my heart I had from being away from my own kids that week. I dreaded going back to Paris, and I hated the fact that these guys were going to be an ocean away from us for the next couple of years...I vowed to come back! And we will. While Patrick hated Paris, he's never been to Brussels and I know he would love it. We never go anywhere, but the kids are getting older, and they adore staying with Nina and Papa, so if we set aside a little vacation money, I think this would be awesome...we need it, and I can't think of a better place to head to.  We've always said we'd visit them, and it's crazy that of the 3 places they've lived since Texas, BELGIUM is the only house I've made it to...LOL! Well we just might be there twice!

Suffice to say, I boarded my train back to Paris with no problem. I shed a few tears as I pulled away, but I knew work was waiting for me...which will be continued in the next and last post... 

2 comments:

  1. I miss Alias too! So glad you had a good time in Brussels and thanks for sharing your European adventure. I don't even get to go to Patewood. (sorry new lab 45 minutes away)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cool you got to see them. What an awesome treat!

    ReplyDelete