Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Race Report: Houston Half Marathon

I am now beginning Week 7 of Marathon Training, but that also left me with the Houston Half Marathon to run last weekend. I was feeling pretty good in the week leading up to it. Had a great pace run mid-week, but then some sore hips later in the week. I was determined to HOLD BACK for this race. It should be a training pace run, a celebration of running with NO knee braces, but it was going to be a test of will LOL!

The night before Patrick talked about wanting to take the kids out for the race, but simultaneously we were learning (as was everyone in our area!) of the massive invasion of terrible mosquitoes!! Thankfully, when I took off at 5:30am the next morning, I had the carseats with me so I knew he wouldn't chance it!

This was probably the first race I've ever done completely on my own...drove on my own, no surprise family appearance, just me. I was impressed that I found an easy parking spot, and got to the starting line in plenty of time. I really hadn't mentally prepared myself for the race at all, and it hit me the day before.

As most of you know, I am fundraising for the Organization for Autism Research for the Houston Marathon this year...and we all know that I'm doing that for our Kellen. Well I recently received my OAR race singlet, and I thought the half marathon would be a great chance to test out my race shirt. What I didn't anticipate was the overwhelming emotion that came with putting on that shirt. As I walked through the crowd that early morning, I felt people looking...and I felt myself caving...

Did they think I was just looking for a cause to run for? Could they tell that I was a mom that this mattered to? Did they pity me? Did they have any tiny idea of what my life was like?

And as I pondered all of this during the pre-race routine, the line-up, and the first couple of miles of the race, I let the emotions come. I let myself cry a little, I let myself feel, I let my skin toughen.

Because I am a mom of autism, because I am a mom who will do something for every mom like me but more importantly for every child like our Kellen. Because I am not ashamed, I am not weak, and I am not afraid of yelling (on the front of my shirt) the name of my struggle.

And once we start moving...I'm just like every other runner. I was committed to keeping this run to training pace (easy long run pace). Last year, I "raced" this course, and I did it with 2 knee braces and felt pretty miserable after and for several days following. This year, I have my focus FULLY set on January 15th.

So I took off slow, kept it easy. I was all out bored and still breathing through my nose at mile 8 when I choked on a Gu Chomp...LOL! Then I decided I had been a good girl and I should have a little fun on the backside ; ) It was a lot of fun pretty much passing everyone in front of me for the last 5 miles. I had TONS left at the end, I was still breathing through my nose at mile 12. The little uphills (overpasses) that bugged me last year were of ZERO concern this year. It felt good, and while I took a couple of rest days after, I could have run the next day. Major improvements from last year (even though my time was 3 minutes slower), and I'm proud of myself for being smart. It was one of those mornings when I felt good, and I knew I just could have gone if I'd let myself...but I continuously held myself back, and as I sit here two days later, my knees are thankful.

I crossed the line at 2:10:54...smiling widely in my OAR race singlet.

Exhibit A: What a good girl I was...my first half split was 1:07:59 at a 10:23min/mile pace. Nice long run pace, very conservative.

Exhibit B: I told you that I got bored at mile 8 right?...my second half split was 1:02:55 at a 9:36min/mile pace. What's not to like about a negative split? ; )

Just one more step along the way of this journey...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome race Ruth Ann. And of course awesome finisher picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was the first race report that has given me the chills. Congrats on rocking the half! We're so excited that you chose to run with OAR this year on behalf of Kellen. Can't wait to see you at the marathon in a few short months :)

    ~Lily Matusiak
    Director, RUN FOR AUTISM

    ReplyDelete