Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Little Victories

So we have a lot going on (when is that not the case?), but I'm making a pledge to update more often! I'm especially going to take advantage of Patrick's coaching nights and try to do at least two posts a week. I really do have a lot I'd like to document and some backtracking I'd like to do both in relation to Kellen's diagnosis path and just general family fun (we went on vacation...seems like forever ago).

For now, I would like to comment on little victories. So I have now firmly allowed/convinced/strong-armed/bribed/brainwashed myself to stop comparing Kellen. I vow to stop comparing him to Larkin because well let's face it, there has not nor ever will be another Larkin LOL!
I also vow to stop comparing him...
... to the kids in his class
... to the other kids at birthday parties
... to my friends' kids on facebook
... to your kids on your blogs
... to my newlywed ideal of what my son might be like someday
... to other autistic kids
... to anyone other than the kid he was yesterday, last week, last year...
I vow this for my sanity, I vow this for both of my kids' confidence, and this new outlook allows me to openly celebrate things like walking to and from the car!!

This is HUGE people. Kellen is a little bit of a Mama's boy...and when you have two kids less than 11 months apart, well one is going to get carried because it's all about containment in open parking lots at that point people! So somewhere along the way, Kellen got used to being carried (you know, probably because he used to be a baby that didn't walk and stuff), Larkin would walk holding our hand (because she being Larkin got to a point where she refused to be carried!), and so was life for the past oh 2 years!

So we realized (when I say we I mean Patrick told me) that we had no idea why we were still carrying Kellen. So we'd try to make him walk in...drama ensued. So we ditched that...about 30 different times.

It's volleyball season, and due to a variety of different factors, I'm really pulling extra duty this year. I have dropped off, picked up, done dinner/baths/bed solo more times in the past month than in the past 2 years it seems. So be it, many women have had it way worse. I have the luxury of a wonderful supportive husband, he just happens to not be home a lot lately, but I'd rather have him in some gym across town than in some desert across the world, you know? (I've really been trying to put an end to my pity party days, can you tell?). So anyway, it's HARD to carry 40lbs of Kellen while keeping track of a very speedy Larkin, all while being my size!

Anyway, one day about two weeks ago, Kellen was adamant about bringing this car at school home with him. So I said "You know what, ok, but you're walking your booty to the car"...and so he did...stopped a few times, couple of complaints, confusion on all of our parts of how to open the car door and get everyone in without my parking lot freakout, but we survived.

The next morning we get to school, Patrick's turn...Kellen sat down on the sidewalk...and refused to budge. Larkin and I actually went in to log them into the system and sat and watched them on the surveillance cameras wondering how long they would sit there...long enough that Larkin and I headed to the breakfast room! And then there they came around the corner...walking...

Rinse and repeat with a few tantrums thrown in here and there but we did NOT, we all out refused to let him get out of walking to and from the car to school everyday for...TWO WEEKS. And just like that we made a huge change for him. He walks to and from like a big boy, he's even attempting to get in and out of the car by himself. What I wouldn't let him do for so long, he was more than capable of doing all along...so I again am humbled, and we all need to re-evaluate other ways that we may be inadventently holding him back.

Once I started along that path, he's also brushing his teeth by himself (standing on the stool, waiting for toothpaste, etc.), he's helping to dress himself, he's waiting patiently for his milk when we get home (and I'm allowing him to play downstairs without quickly ushering him to his chair to be contained). I even found out at daycare that he's tolerating standing up diaper changes...so next week...
...I'm buying pull-ups instead of diapers...
...and the next week, we'll start putting him on the potty...
...because who says he's not ready to potty train...
...who am I to say he can't...

Oh and he's saying "Noooooooo!" clearly, purposely, and turns out he has a lot of opinions...because well, he is my son after all ; )

3 comments:

  1. Great post Ruth Ann, go Kellen and go you. I am very proud of both of you. Now get your booty to Carrabas or Wasabi and lets have a celebratory drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two post a week might be a little much...maybe start with one and see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ruth Ann. Love the victories for YOU and K.K.

    ReplyDelete